I had rocks left over from the tiers I created in the backyard last summer so I used those to create the front edge of the flower bed. I pulled some edging pieces from the other side of the front yard and used those to separate the flower bed from the neighbor's yard.
I curved the flower bed around towards the front of the house to incorporate the bed that was already there.
Next was building the steps down to the fence gate on that side of the house. It was a lot of digging, but I think it turned out really well.
Once I was finished with the front yard, I moved to the back. I had tons of river rock all piled up under the stairs from all the digging I did last summer so I decided to create some faux dry river beds. The areas under the deck were mostly dirt so I decided to put them there.
I laid down weed control material in the shape I wanted the river bed to be and then just started adding rocks in a pattern. It took a lot longer than I thought it would! After several days of playing "musical rocks" I was finally finished. I really enjoyed picking out the plants and getting them in the ground and spreading the beauty bark. I think it looks pretty good.
I took the left over rocks and added to our fire pit. My son had created it last summer. It was sand and a small border of rocks. I widened the border and then created a raised fire pit with the remaining river rocks.
It is so nice to have the yard done, it really turned out great and now I can't wait to just enjoy it!